Eli Lilly's Time Capsule Plaza
These photos from Eli Lilly show an interesting placement idea for time capsules. By the way, the Eli Lilly Time Capsule measures 12 inches x 12 inches x 14 inches. They placed their time capsule at a groundbreaking event in 2004. Photos show some challenges that they succeeded in hurdling when they finally buried the capsule.
The Eli Lilly Time Capsule was placed underneath a boulder. It’s a good idea to place your time capsule this way. The boulder helps protect the area above. Such a placement idea has become more popular in recent years. A time capsule boulder placement has several advantages.
Advantages of a Boulder Placement
- It protects the area above the ground where the time capsule is placed. Rain and snow (and sun) will reach the boulder first.
- It provides additional insulation from the elements and changes in temperature.
- It’s an eye-catcher – easy to spot the small dedication plaque and the passerby wants to read it.
Disadvantages – Mostly in Handling
- Find the boulder
- Get the boulder delivered
- Place the time capsule in the ground
- Position the boulder above the place where the time capsule lies – consider weight, manpower, equipment
Jennifer Bateman and her group placed the Eli Lilly Time Capsule at the Eli Lilly Tippecanoe Labs facility in Lafayette, Indiana. We were proud to be a part of their project! They plan to open their time capsule in 2054. We are grateful that they shared their photos with us.