Black in color, the squares measure 1"x1" in size and are marked on one side with the words 'ANTI TARNISH PAPER DO NOT REMOVE - 3M" in silver printing. The tabs are designed to inhibit tarnish or discoloration of metals in transit or in storage. The work on copper, silver, tin, gold, nickel, pewter and brass by adsorbing or 'trapping' atmospheric pollutants, notably hydrogen sulfide and other chemical compounds.
Use a tab as an insert for a shipping or storage box, bag or other container. Simply place with the item to be protected. They must be within the same container to effect the protection of the square, but direct contact is not necessary.
Each 1" square tab protects from 0 to 30 cubic inches of container void. When exposed to surrounding airspace, the activated sites immediately go to work scavenging corrosive agents in the air.
We estimate the following table to show storage type vs. length of effective storage:
Storage Type - Example - Length of Effectiveness:
- Loosely sealed container - cardboard box - Up to 6 mos
- Moderately tight seal - tied bag - Up to 12 mos
- Tightly sealed poly seal - Zip Lock Bag - Up to 24 mos
- Heat sealed MVP or airtight container - MVP, Rubbermaid - 36 + mos
- Rigid airtight container - time capsule - 48 mos or more
Pack of 5.
This product was added to our catalog on Friday 24 April, 2009.